Wednesday, May 28, 2008

You never know...


There are many uncertainties in life, how long it will be each for of us, who will stay our friends throughout, a solid concensus on where to eat out before going on a group date, etc. Another is how we will feel or, perform on a bike ride or race.

You could eat organic food for a week and in the proper quantities, get at least 9 hours of sleep nightly, and taper to perfection... it just doesn't seem to matter. One race you'll podium, the next, while doing the exact same preparation, you bomb.

I was talking to Barry Thomas about the topic this morning because although we were only on a group ride, he felt physically overwhelmed after hanging with the lead riders up Little Kong. I knew I would peel off early, that climb and I don't get along very well, and I had still been recovering from Monday so this was my expectation for myself. What I didn't expect was to find Barry so hammered. It could have been anyone of us though, not to pick on Barry but I know we can all relate.

Anyways, be it chemical, mental, biorhythms, whatever, I think we just have to go out and enjoy the moment. If were having fun, helping others, and enjoying our friendships nothing else matters.

No comments: