Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Just a good ride

No self-glorification here, I just wanted to share.

I went out for a very brief road bike ride yesterday and I think I learned something about karma, along with an affirmation about the joys of service. As I was heading out I found myself "minding somebody else's business". I saw a car with it's flashers on, sitting on the opposite side of the road just past Higley. I couldn't help it, even though I was making all the lights, pushing it like Cancellara, and in a flow, I felt I should try and assist.

As I rolled up to the car, the window was opening and an elderly woman greets me. She tells me "bless you, i've been here half an hour and you're the only person who's stopped and tried to help me". I was a bit stunned but not surprised, busy people, busy lives. "Me" attitudes seem to be everywhere.

Anyways, she said she had help coming and sent me away with a "thank you for being so kind". After the crappy day i'd had, I felt really, really good about my decision to pull over.

Lesson learned; when fighting the blues, counting blessings is nice but a random act of kindness is HUGE.

Also, later down the road I hit a rock that according to my vast cycling experience should have sliced my tire... it didn't. I don't know much about karma, but that incident seemed like the "good" kind.

No comments: