Sunday, November 2, 2008

BACK IN THE DAY WHEN BIKES AND MEN WERE BOTH MADE OF STEEL!!

I used to be embarrassed by this picture but now I embrace it as my humble beginnings

Lt to Rt: unknown, Brandon Connolly, Steve Connolly, Jim WilsoAdd Imagen, unknown, Kent Hatfield, Curtis Clifford, Curtis's brother, Todd Connolly, and the slowest/goofiest member of the trip: Jim Auwen.

Moab-circa late 1980's?? Not sure about the year but it was a while ago. Guy trip to Moab. We did the Slickrock and Porcupine trails that week-end. Jim Wilson and Curtis Clifford were probably the best and most experienced riders.

I recall being the last rider to every stop. It was frustrating because I would struggle just to get to where the group had stopped and just when I would get there they would take off. I don't blame them, they had already been waiting for me but it seemed that I could never recover. I fell sooo often that I had to wear full elbow and knee pads. I didn't own a jersey and went with a comfort shirt displaying the Suns. I had never worn biking shorts and was a little shy back then, so I wore baggies over them so as not to reveal the outline of my "special parts".

I remember having a great time, this was a new sport to me and it showed. But just like anything else in life there are peaks and valleys and cycling is no different. Regardless of all that, I will always have a deep love of the lifestyle.

I feel the effects of age on my body and performance but in cycling that's okay, they just move you up an age division so it's all good. I also have softened a bit, I no longer destroy myself in competition and group rides. And i'm more inclined to help others enjoy their experience.

Anyways, I didn't want to get into a self-glamorization thing, I just wanted to give it up for humble beginnings. Later...

1 comment:

Kent said...

Those were great days and great helmets.The elbow pads were a must for Jim.