Sunday, June 1, 2008

Saturday's group ride

I haven't been to EOP in quite a while. It was the same beautiful scenery, (if you can appreciate the desert like we can) and the same climbing. The difference would have to be the hyperactive couple in the little white car near the start of the climbing. They were furious at the fact some of us cyclists were passing each other. I don't recall any of us actually riding side by side which was their beef, most of us were passing or being passed. Sterling was near the back coping with his spine and trying to calm the couple down but they wouldn't listen. I guess some people have nothing else in their lives but to look for ways to be irritating.

Prior to that the only observation I made was with a rider who was obviously out of place. We all have been there, riding with a group more experienced than ourselves. The problem this fellow had was his lack of knowledge and equipment. He was falling off anyway and I was riding bike patrol so I tried to help him along. He worked hard and seemed appreciative, but I just couldn't remain with him and not follow with the program that I had for myself that morning. Then he flatted. Like a parent I was torn between changing the flat myself or watching him struggle and hoping he would learn by doing. He struggled, didn't get it right, and wasted a CO2 cartridge. By then Bryce and two others came back to help, I took over and fixed it while showing him what he had done wrong. Bryce and the other two pulled us back to the pack but the young rider had fallen off again and we wouldn't see him again. I hope he got back okay and hopefully learned something.

I believe everyone should carry at least two tubes, 2-3 CO2 cartridges with a regulator (or a pump), a quick patch kit, a tire patch (for cuts in the tire), a five dollar bill, a tire bar and a cell phone when out on the bike. All but the cellphone should be in a seat bag and always on the bike. Each of these items have saved my booty many times.

Enough lecturing. The rest of the ride was fun. I gotta say Gary Prahl is riding very well. I'm told he lost 15 pounds and it shows, he's staying right with the better climbers.

On the way out out Sterling suffered and Gary stayed back with him. My nature was to go back as well but Sterling was in capable hands and I felt okay to go on with the group. We met up at the Dash-in with everyone and then headed home together. We took turns pulling and by the time we reached Crismon we had averaged 28 mph. Bryce, Gary Prahl and I believe Gary Raymond turned right to get in some extra miles. I alone followed but I stayed back and fell off not knowing what they were up to. I let them go and turned left on McDowell, and right on Hawes for a little extra mileage of my own. It was hot and I had half a bottle of water left but I decided to "train-the-brain" and turned right on Power for a back-side loop before going home.

I ended up with 92 miles and got in just after 11 a.m. It was good to get out and do some long climbing. I need to stay on it though and plan on doing some EOP repeats from the Elk's Lodge locally, and some Mt Graham climbs out of town.

1 comment:

Dr. Burk said...

I wanted to be first in something, about cycling, so I'm putting in the FIRST comment.....Thanks for the inspiration and the seat bag check list.