Saturday, June 21, 2008

Jason's run and a warm weekend ride

26.2 mile run for the fun of it? Jason Destories pulled that off last Thursday morning. He wanted to experience that distance as a prelude to an Ironman. Tough to do, especially with no support, so I rode out and left some bottled water in a few places and let him know where. He texted me later and said he made it, nice job Jason. Jason btw, is an 18 year old aspiring cyclist/triathlete with a promising future. He's got the body, heart and mentality to go far. My hope is that he finds a good coach who can help him be his best.

Today a few of us rode about half way to Payson. I didn't think I would be going because my lower back and right a/c joint were flaring up again yesterday, but things settled down during the 3 hours of sleep I had. Sterling had left a cooler with ice and water at the Saguaro Lake turnoff and Reggie Heywood's son was out there along the route with the same, very cool of those two to help out like that, they saved quite a few from dehydration. The temp had to be at least 105 by the time we got home 80 miles later.

John Paul Jones was out and made the distance. He's progressing well and wants to do Desperado Dual in August. He and Kyle were both a little short on food but I'm sure they learned. Kyle even bonked about 10 miles from home but got a little food and Gatorade in him to pull it off. Kim and Barry Thomas were out, Kim rode well and is very impressive to have bitten off and finished a ride strong like that, atta girl Kim.

Sterling struggled for most of the ride with lingering back pain issues. The back is huge in climbing and I don't know how he will be able to complete the 300 warriors ride. I guess he has a few months to work it out.

Reggie was about hit by a car when after losing a chain, decided to try and put it back on in the middle of Bush highway, in the low light of morning and with no tail light. I was waiting for him and saw it all. The car did see him I guess and drove around him. We laughed about it later but that could've been bad.

So, good to get some distance in and with the added bonus of the heat, made for a good day of cycling.

No comments: