Sunday, July 6, 2008

Saturday was good to me

Long time...Had a good ride Saturday. A group of us met at "the corner" at 0500. Let's see, I believe Dave Funk, Gary Raymond, Gary Prahl, Rick Green, Barry Weisman and a few other riders whom I'm embarrassed to say I didn't try to get to know. The unknowns fell off early so the opportunity to chat never presented itself later.

It's funny how I fought to get going that morning, I just didn't feel like getting out. Finally got the socks on, once I can get an article of clothing on i'm good to go. Pulled up half-heartedly with the intent of going a different direction, a shorter distance, and a shorter amount of time. I had my tunes and felt my body was telling me I needed to go easy, boy my body was deceptive that day.

We started riding and I made a quick and firm commitment to go around with the fellas. I would make the best of it, I hadn't been pack riding much lately, especially as fast as these guys go, but I would try and hang on.

We decided on a clockwise Beeline loop. Felt good until about half way up Beeline then Rick Green fell off. I stayed on for about another half mile then decided if I didn't want to blow up completely, I'd better back off and Rick was my excuse, I would just work with him. Barry was off not much longer after myself so the three of us rotated up to the turnoff. Rick and I took off a bit before the others and stayed ahead of the rest until just before the river. We all turned left up Usery. Gary Raymond was struggling a bit and was low on water ( he drank 4 bottles to my 2 by the time we got to the gas station) and needed to replenish. Rick, Barry and another rider went straight on McDowell, The two Garys, Dave and I turn right on Hawes and made our way back for water on Power and McDowel. Afterwards we took off for a front-side Usery loop. Dave and Gary Prahl were the horses this day and did the majority of the pulling.

What started as a weak attempt to ride turned into one of the best rides I had been on in quite a while. I got worked hard and felt good to be able to stay with the pack. It was the hottest day I've ridden in this year, and all of us were sweating profusely. I had a good time and I think we all got what we wanted that day so I was happy I overcame the natural man that morning.

I did see Todd and Amy Kerr while heading up to Usery, they had a flat and my instincts begged me to stop and help but Todd said they were fine so I stayed on the back on the train and continued to get pulled along.

So, good day with good people.

No comments: