Monday, July 4, 2011

Life lately...

Can't seem to post to this blog from my ipad. Thought i'd get on my Mac just to keep this thing alive.

I've been riding the recumbent exclusively for the past 3 months (when I can) and i'm just starting to get the hang of it. Still a tough climber but fun on the downhills and flats. I get stares and fingers pointed at me frequently, are these bikes THAT rare?

I'm struggling with the decision I have to make of whether or not to do the HooDoo 500. I'm entered, but my training has been spotty with family and work responsibilities. Very, very difficult to decide.

On the one hand, I don't know anyone with so little training, who would be dumb enough to attempt this, it's an insanely tough race already and by doing the Voyager division... I should be committed.

On the other hand...

If I were to live by Teddy Roosevelt's quote, "Far better it is..." I should race regardless. Plus, (still on the other hand) it's not in me to back down from a challenge. It used to be, but that's another post...

Ok, back to the first hand. Have you ever ridden a recumbent? No? you're in for a treat. Sure, the weight is off your arms. Yes, you're body is more aerodynamic. Of course, it's fast in the flats and downhills. But climbing? I had an old woman in a wheelchair go around me up Kong. Regardless, there is 30,000 feet of climbing in HooDoo, it's no ride in the park.

I know...blah, blah, blah, so make up your mind. I will, this week or next. I guess it will just come to me as usual.

Other news, had a great time with the fam in southern California last week. Cool weather, beaches, Mormon Battalion visitor's center, and topped off with a crowded but fun Disneyland.

I miss my son Jared who is serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in Portland Oregon. Just gotta get over the initial separation then emotions should normalize.

I'm getting older. I see and feel the changes and though not easy, I think i'm coping well. (probably ought to add that to the first hand ; )

Bye...

1 comment:

Matt Lofgran said...

"I had an old woman in a wheelchair go around me up Kong."

Jim, time to start looking for more positives:

1) You're close enough to the ground that you can push off your hands to augment the pedal work.

2) You can still make it up Kong when others have to get off and walk.

3) You can draft anyone now, including juniors, small women, and hybrid vehicles.