Friday, May 29, 2009

Random acts of kindness...

I usually don't consider the personal effects of service to others , I just look for opportunities to try and help make other peoples lives easier. That's all, tiny acts of service with no strings attached. I feel like a better person. I like to think that random acts of kindness have a ripple effect in society. That helping others will somehow make the world kinder and more tolerant.

Doesn't always work out that way. Good intentioned deed attempt shot down at Home Depot last week. I offered to help a man load some drywall into his truck, I could see he was struggling and might want some help. I asked "can I help you load those?" His response, "I got it". "You sure? I don't mind?" I said. I could see he was getting bothered, so I started to leave when I heard him call me a name under his breath. No big thing, I just figured he was maybe having a grumpy day and left. I didn't tell my sons who were watching because I wanted to keep it positive. Maybe that was a mistake, they need to realize not every attempt will be accepted.

That particular opportunity for service may not have worked out the way I had planned. I had envisioned me helping him load the drywall, we high five, he jumps and clicks his heels as he gets in his truck, he goes home and hugs his family a little tighter that night assured that there is goodness in the world, then for the rest of his life he looks for opportunities to serve his fellow man.

Meri's Grandmother Eloise once said "we help other people, they won't always appreciate it and we don't always see the blessings but we keep helping people anyways".

Good lesson to live by...

Quick note: It's Saturday morning and I just went for a ride at 0700. At about 0930 I was going down Usery (a 3.5 mile climb) when I see this female rider weaving about and she did not look good. I kept riding but felt I should turn around and see if she needed anything, a lot of people underestimate their water needs. Sure enough, when I got to her she was walking and had zero water and this was only half way up the hill and in 100 degrees. I gave her my remaining bottle there were "thank yous" and she assured me she would now be fine so I headed down for one last climb.

I only mention this experience as an example of little things we can do that might make a big difference in someone's life. Maybe without the water she would have made it home okay anyways, or...maybe she might've pulled off the road to find shade and never recovered. Who but God knows?

2 comments:

OK said...

Jim, you are awesome! You are such a good example to all of us, and thanks for the lessons on what we should do. We know this about you. That you are a very caring and sensitive person. I am sure that even though your help was not accepted by the man, it's your thought and heart that mattered. Your boys will see that and learn how to be. What a great person you are. Thanks for enlighten us with your experiences. That's awesome!

Auwen happy home said...

Thank you for the thoughtful words.