Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sleepless in Mesa

Can't sleep as usual. Wondering about things, people in my life, etc. Too much to elaborate fully.

I will keep it on a positive note though and say how much I love my place in this world. How blessed I am words cannot express. How much love I feel for my family and friends and how much love I feel in return can't be described.

I feel as many probably, that there's so much I want to accomplish and that there's so much I want to see. I'm getting pretty successful at focusing on what I have, and not on what I may never have, and finding satisfaction in that.

I've always felt regardless of physical limitations, I could conjure up the courage, stubborn perserverance, and the ability to endure suffering to make it through any race or event and do reasonably well. I now find myself at the mercy of a failing knee joint. I find myself telling my family "boy, if my right knee was as good as my left one I could... blah, blah, blah..." I'm done with that. I've found a pretty constant perspective of being grateful I HAVE two legs. I'm grateful for the many years of service my knee has given me, and the ultimate sacrifice it may have to go through in being replaced.

I was telling Lorie Tucker the other night that I may have to cancel my plans to do a certain event this fall and she seemed in disbelief that I could think that way. What she doesn't know about is the secret love-hate relationship I have with my knee. I've struggled with this rascal and it's three scopings for the last fifteen years and think it's time for a visit to a doctor. I will keep you posted...

Had a pretty good ride today, Kyle and I went out for 17 grueling miles. It's just as well, I couldn't get my heart rate over 165 and felt fatigued, so I backed off and we had good conversation.

I do gotta ramp up the mileage, not sure if I'm doing TDP but I've got Breathless Agony in Redlands on May 2nd and the Red Rock 200 in St. George on May 16th. BA is a great "guy trip" and I really have a great time there with the fellas. Red Rock is in it's first year but it's put on by the same organizers as the HooDoo 500 and they were great and really well-organized. Plus, I love Southern Utah and I love the 200 mile distance (self-reminder to stock up on the Butt'r). Don't know of anyone else going to ride Utah but that's okay, my beautiful wife Meri is coming along so I'm covered.

Alright, the blogging has worked and I hear my bed calling so goodnight. And please, see how blessed you really are, embrace what you have , let go of what you don't, and let's all hug more!

1 comment:

My Time to Blossom said...

"And please, see how blessed you really are, embrace what you have , let go of what you don't, and let's all hug more!"

Wow Jim that's good stuff. Your blog has a really happy vibe. With your fun pictures, nostalgic music, and upbeat messages I may have to visit here more often:)