Saturday, September 13, 2008

LOTOJA 2008

LOTOJA 2008--206 miles--3 states--1 day
(Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming)
by Jim Auwen


Alright, where to start my 2008 LOTOJA experience? The flight over? Thursday spent looking for my Dutch ancestors at the Geneological Library in SLC? I think I'll begin with my Thursday night spent in Logan.

The Frost family had arrived on Thursday and checked into the Crystal Inn. I had found a room at Best Western and headed over to Pier 49 Pizza for food and a chat with Rick Frost who met me there. Rick and I had each done the previous four Lotoja's and spent the evening chatting about the race and life. Got a good night's sleep that night which I feel is more important than getting a good night's sleep on the night before the race, so that was good for me.

Friday morning was spent riding with my tour guide Rick, around the beautiful town of Logan (Rick and Jill had gone to college there) . We finished a 15 miler and headed over to the race check-in . Long lines this year, and we were there right at the start of check-in. There may have been a lack of volunteers, I don't know, but they reduced the check-in to one line instead of two like last year. Lunch at the Sizzler with Rick and his family, wife Jill, daughters Syndey and Cassidy aka: Casper. I was invited to a pasta place for a dinner get together that night with everyone, but wound up preparing for the race and eating some stew from a can alone in my room.

Race morning arrived sooner and than I wanted, but as I got outside, I felt it was warmer than in other years. Jill agreed to take my cold weather gear in Preston so I was able to wear a vest and arm-warmers and not worry about hauling them around the whole day. Once again I was without a sag this year, this meant no hand-offs, and that I would be stopping at all the aid stations for refills and whatever fuel I might find there. This method works okay for me, you lose time to be sure, but I just take the situation I'm given and try to adapt and enjoy. Ruth Collins and son Jake sagged for Dave, Bridget Verhaaren took care of Rob, Jill and daughters supported Rick, and Darcy Norberg with sister Emily her husband Tyler sagged for Mike.

Rick Frost, Dave Collins, Rob Verhaaren and Mike Norberg were all entered in the same division; Master's 35+. My division (Masters 45+) started six minutes back of theirs. I just figured after the start, I wouldn't see them again, they were all pretty strong riders and though I had put a lot of miles in prior to Lotoja, they weren't training specific miles, I knew I would finish, but a sub-10 hour ride wasn't going happen for me this year.

The Masters 45+ pack as a whole, is typically a fast group of riders and we had caught the Masters 35+ guys before Preston, it was fun to see my good friends again when I hadn't expected it. Got into Preston (the Idaho town made famous by the Napoleon Dynamite movie a few years ago) and then lost contact with the others. I guess I got off faster and pushed on to catch another group. Later on, I would stop to visit the "cat-box" and afterwards found myself back with my friends again. We rode along for awhile before the the steeper climb up Strawberry got to me. I immediately fell back due to the extreme gravitational pull on me in particular. I accept this, I don't ride to train, and I eat with gusto whenever I can. Although Ruth Collins thought I ate like a bird, I really just didn't want the "baggage" on race day.

About a third of the way up the day's first big climb I see Rob and another rider working on Rob's rear derailleur. I stopped to see if I could help but when Rob told me his cable had broke I had given him up for done. I thought he might be able to gut out a 12-13 hour day and that's IF he had the moxie to continue. Boy was I wrong.

Rick, Dave, and Mike rode well and from what I hear had a great time together. I think Dave was happy to finish with a good time in his first Lotoja, Rick didn't feel well at mile 160 but was able to gut it out and finish respectably, and Mike surprisingly met many new and interesting people and was able to practice some social skills he's picked up (I swear Mike's the energizer bunny). Rob though, won the lottery of cycling adversity.

What to do when adversity smacks you on the face? You smack it right back. Rob's situation would have sent 95 percent of those riding, waving for their sag vehicles to pick them up. I loved hearing him say "oh well, this will make for a good story" as he left me. I did read his story (great story and well-written by the way), and I did offer my bike to him, but he had different pedals so that wouldn't work. I just thought I had done this race 4 times already and wanted him to have a chance at a good experience, but then I also thought this guy is already on his way to an epic ride, and wants the challenge, who am I to try and deny him of that?, I appropriately said nothing more.
Rob said it would be nice if I could work with him at the summit because he would probably be exhausted, but he ended up beating me up there! My group caught his before Montpelier and we rode in together. As we left Montpelier, he repeated that it would be nice to ride together after the next two brutal climbs up ahead, but I knew that wouldn't happen. I was slow, and Rob was not only fast, but also desperate to get over those climbs. I wouldn't see Rob again until dinner that night. I was told later, and to my disbelief, that Rob had fought back up to the Brumby group, amazing.

As I rolled into Afton, I thought Rob might be nearby, his good wife Bridget was there and said she hadn't seen him. Did I pass him? Should I wait and try to help? I was kind of in limbo but figured he'd be okay.

While going through the feed zone in Afton, Bridget kindly asked me if I needed anything, I said "no, but I'm dying for a cheeseburger". She said "there's a Burger King just up the street". Let's see, is 10 minutes going to matter to me at the finish? Nope, didn't care, I just wanted a cheeseburger. So I pulled in, went inside, and to the surprise of the people in line (most of whom were affiliated with the race) waited to give my order. People kept coming up to me and asking "aren't you in the race, what are you doing in here"? I said "I wanted a cheeseburger". A few let me in front of them in line and I finally got my two greasy Whoppers with cheese. I sat and ate the first one then stuffed the other in my jersey pocket for later. I ended up losing 23 minutes, but felt like a new man.

As I got back into the race I hooked up with a girl from Jackson Hole and I pulled her for what seemed like 10 miles, she told me she just didn't have much left. I couldn't bring myself to leave her until we came up on a pack of riders she could hang onto. I missed the opportunity during that time with her to jump on some speedy packs that went by, but where's the good in that? I never saw her again.

I think a nice change this year was the detour west before Jackson, we avoided a lot of traffic and the scenery was better. The only other incident that comes to mind was the pothole just before the finish that took out one rider and the cones that another rider knocked over and about took me out. I felt fortunate to finish accident and flat tire free for the entire course.

I finished not knowing how I was going to get back to my rental car in Logan with all my belongings. The thought crossed my mind to ride back somehow but it was getting dark and colder. "Maybe I could find a church to sleep in" I thought, but I wouldn't be able to ride back in time for my flight. I went to a convenience store with the purpose of eating something and then getting a piece of paper to write "Need a ride to Logan" on. I was then going to stand out on the finish exit hold up the sign, and hope for the best. As I made the attempt, I got a text from Jill Frost asking me if I needed a ride. Rick had told me earlier during the ride that "we would figure something out at the finish" and he was good to his word.

Once again as last year, the Frost's saved me. I told them I felt like Bob Wiley in the "What about Bob" movie. They picked me up, took me to their little cabin in Jackson, had me shower (I was able to do that on my own), and wear a full set of Rick's clothes (even his garments). I had to use a bungy cord for a belt (which the Collin's and airport security in SLC thought was pretty funny) to keep my shorts up, but most everything else fit. Jill bought me a tooth brush and I was set. They even had me sleep on their pull-out sofa bed, in the same room. I wanted to sleep in their truck that night to give us both some privacy but Jill wouldn't even hear of it.

We ate dinner with the whole group at the Mangy Moose there at Teton Village that evening. The service was slow but that's was to be expected with the huge Lotoja crowd in there. Good food and conversation with great people. BTW, Dave, you're awesome!

Restless night, got up at 6am to the sound of the Frost's dog wanting out of the bathroom. Rick and I went to hunt up some breakfast. Ate later in the cabin with the family, met with the others to load up the bikes, hit the awards (Jill's sister took 2nd in her group), then headed back to Logan with the Frost's.

So, for me, the story of this years' Lotoja boiled down to the following two experiences. Rob's epic struggle to overcome adversity but also his achievement to not only finish, but to fight back up to his group was huge. And secondly, the kindness and concern for me shown by the Frost family was about as Christ-like as you can get, I thank them yet again.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the time Bridget was carrying a bunch of luggage in through the side door of the hotel and the door slipped and whacked her on the head...she didn't like that.

Life is good

No comments: